Seeking Representation for my KIRKUS-STARRED Novel
“A layered and insightful exploration of how people seek meaning in careers and relationships.”
“High Dive” follows Alex Burnham, who relinquished her photojournalism career after winning the top industry award and never looked back. She married, had two children and started a successful child portrait business in upstate New York.
After a visit from her charismatic but cantankerous ex-boyfriend—who still works as a war photographer—Alex realizes she needs greater mean
ing in her work. She thinks she’s found a new direction when her older sister Maggie, a single, career-driven magazine editor, reveals she’s been having an affair with a married man. The subject of infidelity raises old wounds, so Alex decides to tackle the topic through her photography. And she decides to do so in secret.
Donning a wig, she goes to New York City to surreptitiously follow and photograph Maggie and her lover. She’s joined, unexpectedly, by an attractive stranger, whose interest in the project plunges Alex and her sister into danger. As the lies she feeds her sister and husband catch up to her, Alex must decide what price she’s willing to pay to recover her artistic integrity.
Recognition for “High Dive”
- Kirkus starred reveiw and Indy Best Book of the month for August 2019
- The first chapter of “High Dive” won the grand prize in the New Millennium Writing contest for fiction.
- The novel was a finalist in the Pacific Northwest Writer’s Association literary contest.
- “High Dive” was a semi-finalist in the Hidden River Arts Eludia Award for Fiction.
- An earlier version of the manuscript was short listed for the William Faulkner Wisdom awards